Explorer Nation
Thanks for joining us on the Forum. We have simplified the registration form as much as we could so it takes less than 30 seconds to register. Go ahead, register now and start posting.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Explorer Nation
Thanks for joining us on the Forum. We have simplified the registration form as much as we could so it takes less than 30 seconds to register. Go ahead, register now and start posting.
Explorer Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any PTU issues?

2 posters

Go down

Any PTU issues? Empty Any PTU issues?

Post by cmbreeezy Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:22 pm

Just curious if anyone has experienced any PTU issues on their Explorer? My mom’s 2014 Sport had quite the experience this week. Driving less than a mile from home, it stuttered, stalled, and billowed smoke. Come to find out the PTU didn’t just crack - it cracked off. Totally covered by Ford’s powertrain warranty - happened at 51,125 miles. The dealership said they have never, ever seen this happen. Only cracks and they easily replace the unit. They said PTU cracks on Explorers and Edges are kind of common. Waiting on a status check as they said this will take weeks with lots of documentation to Ford for the warranty claim. Now I’m curious if my 2017 Sport will face something similar, but that may be far-fetched.

cmbreeezy

XP Level : 4

Back to top Go down

Any PTU issues? Empty Re: Any PTU issues?

Post by JoeG Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:29 pm

My 13 XLT 4WD had a slow leak, besides getting some nasty fumes it was also creating a bit of jerking motion when going from a stop. This was covered under warranty and they replaced the whole unit.. all issues dissapeared after that. They also told us this was very common with Explorers, so my guess is unless they revised that for the newer models, then it may happen to yours too.. maybe next time you get it serviced have them inspect it, just to be proactive.

JoeG

XP Level : 20

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum